Monday, February 8, 2010

Is it ok to use Latex paint over oil based paint without primer 1st?

My window sills need a refreshing paint job and I think its oil base paint..I would like to use Latex to paint over them.. It is semi gloss and thats what I plan on using again but would rather not use the oil base paint this time.Is it ok to use Latex paint over oil based paint without primer 1st?
You MUST MUST MUST use a primer when painting latex over oil base paint. If you don't your dried lated paint will just peel right off.Is it ok to use Latex paint over oil based paint without primer 1st?
You should primer first cause the latex paint will just peel off....


If you have a lot of coats on it, I would strip it off first......
If the existing is oil-base, chip up any loose paint. Do a light sanding to feather out any chipped areas and for good adhesion for the latex and then prime it. Latex is the best choice since it will retain original color better.

No comments:

Post a Comment