Thursday, February 25, 2010

Are there any serious dangers to skin contact with exterior latex paint?

I'm been hired to do my first mural and it is a 90 foot fence. I've been at it for two weeks now and I've noticed I'm getting a lot of paint on my skin, I'm usually using a mask and latex gloves but I'm wondering if being closely exposed in the short or long term could be dangerous, if so what signs should I look for if there is a problem?Are there any serious dangers to skin contact with exterior latex paint?
if your working outside the ppm of air borne latex is minute compared to the atmosphere. if your allergic to latex then use vinyl gloves. all paint manufacturers will upon request will give you a sheet discribing the possible dangers. it's available from the retailer, BY FEDERAL LAW.Are there any serious dangers to skin contact with exterior latex paint?
There are no more dangers from the paint than from the latex gloves you are using. Latex paint is water based which means the fumes are benign compared to oil or other solvent based paints. Ditto for what you get on your skin, but if you are still uncomfortable wear long sleeves and a cap.
latex paint is fine. its the lead based paint that is banned that you need to watch out for. try to not get it on your skin but it is nearly impossible not too. unless you are eating paint you are good ;)
Everything that comes into contact on the skin is absorbed and processed by the liver. It can lead to bad things. Wear latex gloves when you paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment