Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can you paint over oil based primer with interior latex paint?

I am remodeling my bathroom and after stripping some ancient wallpaper from drywall that had not beein primed prior to wallpapering, I have many spots in the drywall that have torn into the top paper layer of the drywall. There are also a few spots where not all of the old wallpaper was completely removed and there is some residual adhesive. I have been told that painting over such spots will cause the old paper to bubble and peel away so after mudding over the bad spots and sanding, I should paint with oil based primer.





My question is.. after mudding and sanding the walls should I use latex primer or oil based primer and if I use oil based primer, is it possible to paint over that with interior latex paint?Can you paint over oil based primer with interior latex paint?
Oil based primer is absolutely the best choice for a damp environment like a bathroom. Latex top coat paints will adhere perfectly to oil based primer. The oil primer will seal the drywall and help prevent mildew from forming on the drywall. Oil is an excellent choice. I use this method all the time. the other answerer's are confusing latex paint over oil paint. that doesn't work at all.Can you paint over oil based primer with interior latex paint?
you should use a oil based primer to prevent the left over paper from absorbing the water from water based and causing it to bubble and fall off..... using an oil primer is best to seal the walls and make sure that what ever paper is left on is safe from falling sealing the wall is the important part of the oil base...... you may use a latex paint after if you wish.....
We used a latex primer on the drywall when we built a room. It worked fine.
I have lived through the very same scenario.





I rented a steamer and removed every last bit of the adhesive. Then I bought a shellac-based primer called ';Kilz'; (BIN makes one, too.) and primed the bare dry wall BEFORE I did the patching. This stuff cleans up with acetone (nail polish remover) and should be used with good ventilation. Kilz is guarenteed to cover just about any kind of stain you can think of including knots in raw wood and cigarette smoke stains.





I built up the deepest holes in layers allowing the compound to dry fir 24 hours between applications. When I had feathered it smooth and allowed it to dry, I primed the spots.





You can then use a water-based Melamine paint designed for kitchens and bathrooms where high humidity is present. I purchase mine at Home Depot.





Not in amillion years will I understand why folks put wallpaper in high humidity locations. Mildew and bacteria are opportunistic organisms just looking for good locations to multiply.
Try sanding the oil paint to give it a ';roughed up'; surface for the new paint to adhere to. You don't have to sand very deep. I would use a kilz product especially since this is in your bathroom. It will help control/prevent mold and mildew. It also is an excellent primer.
You CANNOT use latex over oil based, unless you WANT it to peal.


It's like cooking on a non-stick surface...things don't stick!
Hi there


I鈥檓 an interior designer and I just notice your question. You know what if your walls are just a mess there is this special wall paper that you can get to cover the walls and then you can paint on top of this special wall paper. Saying this I seen it and it looks really good after your finish. With this wall paper you will be accomplish a nice cover and the imperfections of the wall. (Remember this wall paper is especially for this kind of wall)


Then you can paint the room the colour you want and the kind of paint you want to us. My preference is latex paint Benjan Moore. Good luck
You need to confirm this at your local paint store because it's been years since I've actually done it:





If I recall correctly, whenever I've had to seal a damaged wall, whether it was banged and exposed metal wall corners or patched wallboard, I've used an oil base primer (in all the rooms) -- just because it's the best and I knew it would stick well to the wall and to any type of paint -- either water or oil based.





Listen to uncle bob (above)

No comments:

Post a Comment