Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can I put spar varnish over latex paint?

I'm planning on finishing a mahogany quarterboard sign with black lettering - should I paint the letters (latex paint) before of after I varnish the mahogany with spar varnish?Can I put spar varnish over latex paint?
No, varnish, especially spar varnish is a hard finish. Latex, IS latex... It will always be a bit soft and ';mushy';... Any spar varnish put over it will crack...





So, what you need to do is strip the wood, sand it, use a tack cloth, and then follow the directions on the spar varnish container.





You might want to look at varathane though. Because you will need to do 5 to 12 coats. 5 coats are minimum and 12 for a marine coat.Can I put spar varnish over latex paint?
You can varnish afterwards, but make sure the paint has completely dried, preferably left overnight.
Paint first.





You may also want to consider engraving or burning the letters into the wood, if you have the tools to do so.








Good luck!
  • rate my
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment