Thursday, February 25, 2010

Is spraying latex paint without a mask dangerous?

I only spray outside. I do about 6-10 houses a summer. I ';backbrush'; almost all of them, so it is not like I am in a fog of spray. I try not to breathe the vapors. If I know it is unavoidable I do wear a mask. Your thoughts?Is spraying latex paint without a mask dangerous?
Repeated exposure over a long period of time may lead to serious side effects. I know this because me fiancee works in pest control and he works around all sorts of chemicals all day, latex paint is also a chemical that you shouldn't breathe in over a long time.Is spraying latex paint without a mask dangerous?
If you do 6 to 10 houses a summer, you're exposing yourself considerably to microscopic particles you can't even see.. and [sad to say] might well be setting yourself up with serious lung problems years up the line. For about $45-60 [paint supply place or welder's supply place] you can get a top of the line protective mask with filters, and write it off as work-related expense at tax-time. Don't assume that because you're not in a ';fog of spray'; that you're safe out there. If you can smell it, you're breathing it in. Lots of old coots suffering with emphysema today are paying for being maskless macho-men 30 years ago.
just get a freakin' mask and flollow the directions. don't be a dumbf**k
use a mask - better safe than sorry





or better safe than toxic
As a painter myself , I would suggest wearing a mask , otherwise you could turn out like my dad ( now retired) ,He never believed in wearing a mask , and his lungs are no good , he never smoked , only years of paint particles , along with the ammonia ,and many other particles like silicone etc. contained in latex paint . He was very surprised that the exposure to latex has done him more harm than the exposure to all of the lead base paints from the 60's and early 70's..., But of course with the homes we paint there is no spraying outdoors period , mainly to protect the copper roofing , cars , stonework , and other surrounding things that could possibly get painted as well . But anyway I would get the mask if you are unsure as to which is best , go to Sherwin Williams , another paint store and tell them you need a protective mask for spraying latex .

No comments:

Post a Comment