Monday, February 8, 2010

How do I remove water based paint on top of latex paint?

I am renovating my condo, and both bathrooms have a water-based paint on top of latex paint. Is there any easy way to remove the top layer of paint? It peels off in very small patches, and is taking forever!How do I remove water based paint on top of latex paint?
Well first of all, water based paint is the same thing as latex paint. It sounds like you have OIL based paint OVER latex paint- and that's why it's peeling. There is no way to remove just one layer of paint off a wall. Unfortunatly, you're going to have to sand the areas where the paint has been coming off, then you'll have to buy a really good, latex based primer. Kilz 2, is a good primer.How do I remove water based paint on top of latex paint?
K S is right! But may I also recommend Zinsser 1-2-3? It is an excellent, water based primer that will improve the bond between what you have and your new top coat.
K.S. is almost right , it's latex over oil that Peel's . if you put oil on top of latex it's o. k. the oil seeps into the latex and gets real hard .

No comments:

Post a Comment