Sunday, February 21, 2010

I want to change the color of freshly painted glossy latex paint. Can I use a semi gloss latex over it?

Glossy paint is not available in the new color.I want to change the color of freshly painted glossy latex paint. Can I use a semi gloss latex over it?
You might see some of the shine coming through, but I doubt it. Use two good thick coats of paint over it and it should be fine.I want to change the color of freshly painted glossy latex paint. Can I use a semi gloss latex over it?
Going one step down or up in sheen is usually not a problem. What I don't know is what kind of surface you painted glossy. In the USA, you just don't see high gloss trim while in Europe, especially the UK you see it all the time. If you are going down one step to a semi-gloss, I am not sure you will see much difference if it is applied to trim. If you've painted walls in a gloss I guess I'd ask why! The higher the sheen, the more resistant to moisture and dirt, etc. For most purposes, high traffic areas require no higher sheen than a satin (that's two steps down from a gloss). Here's the heirarchy; gloss, semi-gloss, satin, eggshell, flat. Satin paint is scrubbable and generally used in high traffic areas such as hallways and high humidity areas like bathrooms. Eggshell is washable, not scrubbable. If you're planning to go 2 or more steps apart in sheen, I'd recommend priming first. Good Luck!


Rodd


http://www.exterior-house-paint-colors.c鈥?/a>
It depends on how long its been. The longer the gloss paint dries, the less likely the next coat will stick to it. To be safe, use a good primer like zinnser 123 or kilz2 first (you can have it tinted so the job gets done in two coats, 1 primer, 1 semi-gloss), or wipe the walls first with a deglosser or liquid sander to promote adhesion of the next paint.
yes. as long as you don't try to use an oil base it should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment