Sunday, February 21, 2010

Can I use Interior Alkyd Enamel paint as a primer for an Interior Acrylic Latex paint?

I want to paint over some ugly wallpaper in my sunroom and decided that I should probably prime with white. The wallpaper is light anyways, but then, so is my colour I've chosen to paint.


SO: to be on the safe side I'm going to paint the walls white first. I found a can of Interior Alkyd Enamel (semi-gloss finish) white paint. Can I paint this on first, then go over with my new can of (coloured) Interior Acrylic Latex (eggshell finish)???


I'm not looking to enter any decorating contests, so it doesn't need to be GORGEOUS! I just want it to look decent-to-nice.


ideas? opinions?Can I use Interior Alkyd Enamel paint as a primer for an Interior Acrylic Latex paint?
Hi. No you can't use the Alkyd enamel as a primer. It is an oil based paint %26amp; you cannot paint latex over it. The paint would just peel off. Primer isn't expensive and if you go to your local hardware store explain to them what you want to paint %26amp; they will get you the best one for your project. You can use oil over latex but not the other way around. You could also just put 2 or 3 coats of the paint you have over the wallpaper. If you ever plan on taking the wallpaper off I recommend you doing it before you paint as you will never get it off later. Good luckCan I use Interior Alkyd Enamel paint as a primer for an Interior Acrylic Latex paint?
Well, you can if you really want to, but the results will be disastrous.... Sorry...





Painting latex paint on top of enamel paint is a sure-fire recipe for disaster. Here's why: Enamel paint is oil-based, which means putting water (acryllic) paint on top, well, it won't stick. Oh, it'll stick while it's wet. But the minute the latex paint starts to dry, you'll see it peeling off, flaking off and chipping.





The best way to solve your problem is this:





Since you are painting over ugly wallpaper, you don't want the wallpaper coming up. Which means you can't prime with water paint. You'll need to use an oil-based primer. Enamel isn't a primer. Get yourself the cheapest oil-based primer and use that.





You can put latex paint on top of oil-based PRIMER. Primer is a mix of glue and paint. Your latex paint will stick to this and the results will be nice.





Good luck...
She's right use an oil based primer. Then you can use all kinds of paint on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment