Thursday, February 18, 2010

What is the best way to get latex paint off woodwork?

The paint is already dry (and no, this was not my doing-I would wipe up spills as soon as they happen! ) I am not sure how long the paint has been there, but it bothers me and I'd like to fix the problem without having to sand/stain the woodwork.What is the best way to get latex paint off woodwork?
there are a lot of variables that you don't tell or don't know. how large an area? what kind of surface? is it wood? what kind? is it in an enclosed area? will the fumes of a liquid remover harm you or any pets in the area? there are good paint removers that work very well on most wood. my best answer would be to find out as much as you can of the questions i posed to you and go to your local hardware store (mennards, or loews) or whatever, and explain to their paint expert just what you want and they will assist you in your plight. most liquid removers won't damage the wood either.What is the best way to get latex paint off woodwork?
There may be a product to help you out but I have always tried to wet the area and then carefully scrape it off. I hired an idiot to paint a bathroom and he didn't cover anything and rolled the paint and it splattered everywhere. I didn't check it that closely until much later and then realized just how much scraping I was about to do. It is much easier the fresher it is. It takes patience because you don't want to leave any marks on wood. It could be easier to sand and retouch the woodwork. Good luck. . .it's a job.
Is it smeared pretty thin? I've found that larger chunks can sometimes be popped off with a fingernail or carefully with the edge of a butter knife.





If it's smeared on thin and right into the grain, I don't know what to tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment