Monday, February 8, 2010

How do you get rid of old latex paint?

I Have a number of cans of old latex based paint and I don't know how to dispose of them. Can they be run down the drain?How do you get rid of old latex paint?
I would not want it in my drains...





http://earth911.org/





*Use it up: (mix with other latex paints,could come in hady for you at another time)


*Dry it up:(open lid in well ventilated area let dry),put out with trash.


*Pass it on : (reclycle,give away,there might be a collection service in your area to use left over paints for projects)How do you get rid of old latex paint?
you should take them to your local recycle center the one in my area will take old paint for free. I think they all do.
Come on man don't do that. Even tho its latex it still has v.o.c's and all tryps of crap in it. Green is the way to be bro.


Every town has a dump that has a chemical waste center or a cemical disposal day. Look online for yor towns sceduale.
Most cities have ';Tox Drops'; for paint, batteries, etc. Contact your local town or city government to find the nearest location and hours.





Ours is only 1 or 2 Saturdays per month - and only for a couple of hours.
Kia is right. Use it up. I have latex paint that's over 20 years old. I dump it in 5 gal buckets, stir it up and lid it. Heck, you can stack four fives on top of one another and use about a foot and a half of floor space. I use it on a lot of stuff. Last thing I used it on was garage walls and barn walls. Splash it on three four coats. It's free.


You can also use it instead of or with water if you're mixing cement to patch stuff. It makes a tougher cement. There are a lot of uses for even old gritty latex paint.
Town recycling centers won't accept latex paint because it is not considered hazardous-- I spot checked centers in several states and they all said the same. Yes, it's best to use it up, but if you cannot then it can be disposed of in household trash AS LONG AS IT IS DRIED OUT. Some say you can mix in shredded newspaper or cat litter but I've never tried either one. I've used some stuff made specifically for this purpose (works great) that you can get at home centers or paint stores.





FYI, as noted in the link, there are now some specialized centers that recycle latex paint but I don't know how widespread they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment