Monday, February 8, 2010

How do I get latex paint to stick on oil paint?

I'm painting the walls in my house and apparently the previous owner used oil based paint. Besides sanding (which I'm not crazy about doing because it makes the wall rough) is there anyway to make the latex stick better? Thanks!How do I get latex paint to stick on oil paint?
You can use one coat of Kilz primer. PITA, but easier than sanding. Without the primer, even though it appears to be sticking now, it will not adhere very well over time and will ';roll'; off of the wall everytime it is bumped or scratched.How do I get latex paint to stick on oil paint?
You need to put a primer on first. Yes, it's a lot more work, but better than sanding.
You need to get a primer to paint on the wall on top of the oil-based paint that is made for this very situation. It does mean one more coat of paint but I'm sure you will be very happy with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment