Thursday, February 18, 2010

Can I use latex paint as a primer under oil -based paints?

I painted my fireplace with an oil-based paint. The trim must be painted a lighter colour. I accidentally touched the trim with a dark colour and so I must put a primer over the trim to keep the darker colour from seeping through. Should I use a latex or oil-based primer/paint under the top coat which will be oil-based?Can I use latex paint as a primer under oil -based paints?
as a painting contractor i would reccomend you use an oil primer,and if you use the fireplace a lot i would also reccomend some high heat enamel for the brocks...if you dont use it much or at all straight enamel will be alright.Can I use latex paint as a primer under oil -based paints?
fire place is it brick or wooden casing? oil based paint is still flammable may ignite if to close to heat? do not assume this may work!
You touched the trim with a dark color no big deal. You do not have to reprime. Just follow up with 2 coats on the trim, the darker color will not seep through. Don't bother repriming!!!!!
the latex paint can be easily rubbed out after you painted on oil base paint.
Don't use a latex primer under oil paint. Use this stuff called Kilz. It will cover anything. It is the best stuff. You can get it at Home Depot or any hardware/paint store.
Use Alky Flat paint- thats Oil Base Flat paint, don't matter if its interior or exterior- Kilz sucks, its to glossy and shows every where you use it.
  • rate my
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment